BIBIMBAP (Korean Beef and Rice Bowls)
Good day to you my Galley friends. Today’s recipe is one I’ve been making since visiting South Korea several years ago. F was on a military mission in Iraq and my daughter was teaching English at a Korean school at the time. It was the perfect location for F and me to meet for a wee break during his deployment.
Bibimbap was a dish we enjoyed often while there…so very tasty and so full of those wonderful Asian flavours. I thought it was time to share my version with you. It takes very little time to put together and you can shave even more time off the prep by making the beef mixture ahead and freezing portions.
The veggies I used for this are common to most and very accessible…sliced radishes, shaved cucumber and carrot match sticks with some green onions and sesame seeds for garnish.
You could cut even more time by pressure cooking the rice…about 5-6 minutes for regular white rice and 22 minutes for brown, which is what I used this time. I usually double up on the quantity and freeze remainder for future use to economize.
Drizzle with gochujang (Korean chili sauce) or sriracha, stir it all together to get those wonderful flavours with each delicious bite.
While you wait for my return here are a few more of my favourite easy Korean-inspired dishes…
…peach and love…
Bibimbap (Korean Beef and Rice Bowls)
- Saute pan
- Pressure cooker Optional
- 1 Lb ground beef about 500 g
- 1/3 Cup Bragg liquid aminos or your own brand of soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- 1 Tbs honey
- 2 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 Cloves garlic minced
- 1 Tsp dried chili flakes
- 1 Tsp fresh ginger grated (can sub 1/2 tsp ground ginger)
- 3 green onions sliced, reserving green parts for garnish
- 3 Cup cooked brown rice white is fine too
- 1 Tsp sesame seeds
- 1 English cucumber thinly sliced or shaved with vegetable peeler
- 10 radishes sliced
- 2-3 carrots julienned or cut into match sticks
- sriracha or Korean chili sauce for drizzling
- In saucepan, brown beef until no longer pink
- Add all sauce ingredients and continue to simmer for about 2-3 minutes
- When ready to serve, warm rice and divide amongst 4 serving bowls.
- Ladle portions of beef on top of rice and arrange veggies around perimeter of bowl.
- Ladle remaining cooking liquids/sauce over all. Garnish with sesame seeds and green onion then drizzle with sriracha or Korean chili sauce if using.
- Lightly stir with fork or chop sticks to bring all of those wonderful flavours together with each bite